I blend my 12 years of experience as a corporate and volunteer educator, trainer, and coach with my knowledge of gerontology and dementia to partner with all clients.
In particular, my experience as a Dale Carnegie Training Facilitator and Coach has given me the mindset and skills to collaborate with families and staff for them to achieve success.
I find the peer-reviewed studies, the lectures, presentations, books, and resources that are hard to find- or just time consuming to digest - and boil them down to concepts that are easy to understand.
I am dedicated to improving the lives of persons with dementia, their families, and professionals serving them. I do this through five ways:
- Educating opens the mind to the idea that a person with dementia is still a whole person, worthy of your best effort and attention, to be present in mind, body, and spirit.
- Training offers techniques, strategies, and tips to create Peace with Dementia.
- Coaching provides personal advice, goal-setting, encouragement, accountability & follow-up, and a life-line when you have questions.
- Facilitating of Care Partner support groups, as well as the TimeSlips Storytelling activity for persons with dementia
- Consulting, very similar to coaching, looks at specific issues and projects.
Care Partner Mentoring, LLC
President, Consultant and Trainer in Covington, LA (2014-present)
- Facilitator, Care Partner support groups and education, contracted by (COAST).
- Facilitator, TimeSlips storytelling activity for persons with dementia. (timeslips.org)
- Trainer, Dementia sensitivity, presented to Jefferson Council on Aging
Dale Carnegie Course
Coach and Facilitator, The Dale Carnegie Course in Metairie, LA (2005 - present)
- Course in helping adults improve their personal and professional lives by building self-confidence, enhancing communications, strengthening people skills, developing leadership and reducing stress.
Hospital System Supervisor of (Research) Grants Development in New Orleans, LA (2011 - present)
- Research Employee of the Year (2013)
- Connecting researchers with project funding
Previous rolesLouisiana Governor’s Office of Elderly Affairs
- Louisiana State Alzheimer’s Disease Task Force (2009)
- Program Manager of Community Living Program, including Alzheimer’s Disease Support Services Program (2008-2011)
- Program Manager and Master Trainer, Stanford Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (2010-2011)
- Master Trainer, Matter of Balance program, Louisiana Governor’s Office of Elderly Affairs in Baton Rouge, LA (2010-2011)
Alzheimer’s Association (New Orleans Area)
Chair, Alzheimer’s Association Advisory Board in New Orleans, LA (2008)
Delgado Community College
Adjunct instructor in Management and Personal Finance (2011-2013)
National Association of Home Builders
Certified Aging in Place Specialist designation (2015 - 2016) CAPS
Johns Hopkins School of Nursing
Verified Coursera Certificate of Achievement: Living with Dementia: Impact on Individuals, Caregivers, Communities and Societies (2015)
Gerontological Society of America (2015 - present)
Louisiana Geriatric Society, Board Member (2017 - present)
Honors & Awards
Stephanie Pepper Memorial Scholarship in Gerontology (2016)
Co-Presentations at Conferences
Men As Caregivers, Louisiana Geriatric Society Conference, New Orleans, LA December 2007
Your Life Your Health!, International Journal of Health, Wellness & Society Conference March 2013
Using individualized Music to Prevent and Sooth Agitationin Dementia, Louisiana Geriatric Society November 2017
Volunteering and Service
Boy Scouts of America
- Cub Scout Leader in Pack 611 (2010 - present)
- Boy Scout Leader in Troop 611 (2015 - present)
- Eagle Scout Award (1992)
St. Tammany SALT Council (Senior and Law Enforcement Together)
- Professional Volunteer
Village Friends, Village Values, Auburn, AL. (Aging Village)
Interests and Hobbies
Public speaking, Science of learning, Mutual aid and Voluntaryism, Camping, First aid, Preparedness, Music.
Matt Estrade, MA, MBA
University of Louisiana at Monroe
Masters in Gerontology (2017)
- 4.0 A Average in coursework, focus on dementia.
- Thesis "The Impact of Educational Support Groups on the Affect of Dementia Caregivers
University of New Orleans
Masters in Business Administration (2005)
Bachelors of Science (2000)
Jesuit High School
College Preparatory (1995)